Michelle’s Contact Details
07932 488 548
I am an experienced integrative counsellor, offering empathetic and confidential counselling to individual clients and couples.
I also supervise the work of other therapists, individually or in groups, and am a qualified Adoption Support counsellor. I am Accredited by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).
Counselling with Michelle Strange
I work with a wide range of people who are experiencing problems. I believe that counselling can help you to feel more comfortable in your life and relationships, and draw upon your own resources to find a way through. It can help to talk things through with a trained person, and have a safe space to explore what may be happening in your life. Sometimes we will look at past events and relationships to help us to understand the present.
My approach to therapeutic work is collaborative and arises out of an equal relationship between therapist and client: I do not use a couch, make diagnoses, judge you or advise you how to do things. For further information about how I work, and how counselling may help you, please visit my personal website www.michellestrange.co.uk
Over the years I have worked as a counsellor/psychotherapist/client assessor/clinical supervisor in 3 community-based counselling agencies, in a longer-term NHS psychotherapy service, and in a University counselling services for staff and students. I have taught mindfulness meditation classes to the general public.
I lived in several places and countries, before settling in North London. I am a mother. I have a BA in Jurisprudence (Law) from Oxford University, and before re-training as a counsellor I had a long career as a barrister, specialising in human rights, criminal defence and mental health law.
I was inspired to become a counsellor by my own very positive experience of being a client in long-term therapy. My work is further supported and underpinned by my own mindfulness practice.
Supervision with Michelle Strange
If you are a therapist looking for individual or group supervision, please visit the Supervision section of my personal website www.michellestrange.co.uk
Areas I work with:
- Anxiety and panic
- Bereavement and grief
- Couples Therapy
- Family Issues
- Gender and Sexual Diversity
- living with disability, long-term health problems, or terminal illness
- Parenting/ step parenting
- Relationship Issues
- Sexual and/or Physical Abuse in Childhood
- Sexuality and Sexual issues
- Work-related issues
Qualifications, Training and Experience:
I am an Accredited member of the BACP. My work is integrative and relational, drawing on humanistic, psychodynamic and contemporary attachment theories, underpinned by mindfulness-based approaches to therapy. Where appropriate I can offer to incorporate some mindfulness practices into our work together.
I have been working as a counsellor since 2010, and remain committed to continuing professional development and study, with particular focus on mindfulness and trauma-sensitive approaches. My qualifications include
- Level 4 Professional Diploma in Integrative Counselling, Mary Ward Centre
- Year 3 Integrative Counselling and Contemporary Psychotherapy, Minster Centre
- Level 1 Teacher Training, Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice (CMPR), Bangor University
- Mindfulness One-to-one, CMPR Bangor University
- Diploma in Relational Mindfulness, Karuna Institute
- Global Online Professional Training Program in Mind-Body Medicine, Center for Mind-Body Medicine
- Certificate in Working with Couples and other Relationships, Grove Training
- Level 6 Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling Supervision, CPCAB
- Certificate Program in Mindfulness and Psychotherapy, Institute for Mindfulness and Psychotherapy/Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts, US
- Certificate in Adoption Support Counselling, Albany Centre/Barnados
I am happy to be contacted by email or telephone, to answer any questions you might have, and set up an initial meeting.
07932 488 548
I charge £80 – £85 per 50 minute session for individuals, and £100- £110 for a 50 minute sessions for couples, depending on the time of day. For the initial 50 meeting I will charge the same as the rate as our proposed session time.
I keep a limited number of lower-cost places for people from households with incomes – do feel free to ask if you think you may qualify for a reduced rate.
My hours of client work are between 7am-5pm, Mondays-Thursday.