There are many reasons for considering psychotherapy: you may wish to explore a specific topic or you might feel that it’s time to deal with a longstanding issue which impacts your quality of life.
Clients come to me with a range of issues, including anxiety, depression, facing a transitional period in life, low self-esteem, relationship difficulties, and unresolved trauma which can hinder life and relationships.
Maybe you want to get to know yourself more deeply and seek a therapeutic approach which could open new avenues to explore.
Therapy with Elisabetta Cittadini, MD, PhD
My clinical experience began over twenty five years ago when as a young medical student I initially attended the Child Neuropsychiatric outpatient clinic in the Hospital of my home town. I specialised in neurology and moved to London where I had the opportunity to be directly involved in research. Working as a clinical neurologist taught me the importance of listening carefully to each individual’s story. I became aware of the profound and transformative experience which can take place when a person feels heard and understood. My clinical experience of listening and seeking to understand my patient’s stories led me to pursue a training in psychotherapy. My passion for arts led me to study integrative arts psychotherapy, followed by further training in mentalisation based therapy (MBT).
I have worked in the Charity sector and several clinical settings within the National Health Service (NHS). Through my work in the NHS I gained experience of working with adults with a variety of complex psychological difficulties such as depression, anxiety, personality difficulties etc.
As an integrative psychotherapist, I draw on several theories and relational approaches: psychodynamic, humanistic, existential, mentalisation based therapy, attachment theory, sensorimotor psychotherapy. As an art psychotherapist I am trained in both talking and art therapy. I am also trained to work with different creative media and art forms. Sometimes it is hard to find the words to articulate our experiences, or words do not seem enough to convey what’s going on inside. The creative process can be a powerful aid for expression and communication. There is no need for you to be an artist or to have any previous experience in art. My broad experience, alongside my integrative approach, enables me to adapt my approach to fit your needs.
Therapy is a journey for both client and therapist. I am aware of the importance of providing a consistent, confidential and non-judgmental space to facilitate self-discovery and self-awareness. I am committed to support you during the different stages of this journey. A solid and trusting therapeutic alliance is key: it develops slowly over time and allows us to go deeper in our work together.
The first step is to arrange an initial consultation: this provides an opportunity for us to meet and explore what brought you to therapy, your background history, to ask questions, discuss the right intervention and whether we can work together. This should give you a sense of my way of working and how we will work together. If we decide to work together, we will arrange a date and time to work on a weekly basis.
I work with individuals and groups and can offer therapy in person or online.
Sessions take place weekly at an agreed date and time and last 50 minutes.
I offer therapy in English and Italian.
Areas I work with:
Some of the areas I can help with:
- Age -related issues
- Bereavement, loss and grief, life transitions
- Employment Issues
- Health related issues
- Low self-esteem
- Relationship issues
- Stress-related issues
Psychotherapy Training and Qualifications:
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Trauma, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
- Accreditation as a practitioner of Mentalization-Based treatment ( training course accredited by the British Psychoanalytic Council-BPC).
- Foundation Course, Institute of Group Analysis, London
- MA in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy, Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education, London Metropolitan University, London, UK.
- Advanced Diploma in Professional Development: The Therapeutic Application of the Arts, Institute for Arts in Therapy and Education, London Metropolitan University, London, UK.
- PhD, UCL Institute of Neurology, London, UK.
- CCST equivalent qualification: Specialist Neurology Diploma, University of Perugia, Italy.
- Qualification for Practice of Medicine (a European recognised qualification entitling me to register as a Medical Doctor in Italy, Italian Society of Physicians).
- Degree in Medicine and Surgery, University of Perugia, Italy.
Affiliations and Registrations:
- UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP)
- Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- The British Association of Art Therapists (BAAT)
- Institute for Arts and Therapy in Education (IATE)
- General Medical Council (GMC)
- Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
If you would like to arrange an initial consultation or find out further information, please email me:
My fee is £100 per session (50 mins)
Psychotherapy sessions at Barnsbury Therapy Space:
Thursday and Friday
Directions to Barnsbury Therapy Space